64 bits
Posted: 26 March 2017 06:06 AM  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-03-26

A 64-bits version of BlitzIn would be very much appreciated. It’d allow to use the 64-bits version of the engines.

Posted: 07 April 2017 05:15 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2014-11-06

I downloaded Stockfish 8 at 64 bit from stockfishchess.org/download and loaded it into BlitzIn and ran it just fine. Image attached.

When BlitzIn runs an engine, it uses a command to launch a separate program and direct its input and output to a pipe that BlitzIn can read.  So the ability to launch a separate program that is 64 bit only depends on the OS the user is running on, not the program trying to start another program. The program like BlitzIn trying to start another program just uses system calls directly to the Operating system. It’s not running the program from within BlitzIn. If you press CTRL - Alt _delete for task manager when stockfish is running you’ll see its a separate process on the list.

To load stockfish 8 , 64 bit, go to Edit menu at top - Settings menu item then in Settings dialog, the engine tab.  by the engine selected at top of that tab, click browse and find the stockfish 8 64 or any other UCI engine you downloaded and select it and BlitzIn will use it as your default engine.

Have fun,
Mike

Image Attachments  blitzin_stockfish_8_64._.jpg
Posted: 07 April 2017 05:27 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2014-11-06

the exact file you want on https://stockfishchess.org/download/ is in engine binaries section on that page. choose the windows binary,  in zip you download it unzip it and go to Windows folder in there and get stockfish_8_x64.exe. copy it somewhere you keep engine and load it into BlitzIn by going to Edit menu at top -> settings menu item, then engines tab and at top of engines tab you see your current engine but to right of it is browse button. click browse, in file choose find your engine. 

Posted: 08 April 2017 11:21 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-03-26

Thanks so much, Mike, you’re right.

I tried that in the past and I swear it didn’t work. I attributed that to BlitzIn being a 32-bit application.

Thanks again!

Posted: 15 April 2017 02:32 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2017-04-07

I love Blitzin but at this point, it is definitely feeling a bit dated. A 64 bit version would be very much appreciated.