Whispering instead of Kibitz when taking lessons on ICC for Mac
Posted: 10 October 2016 07:47 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-09-25

I am using ICC for Mac and taking lessons. When I follow my teacher a chat window opens up allowing us to kibitz back and forth. All is well until he goes to examine one of my games. Then my responses become whispers instead of Kibitz. He is not seeing the whispers so I open up the console and type /kib before every response. Very frustrating and easy to forget while trying to respond to questions.

I must be missing a setting in the GUI that allows me to kibitz with the person I am examining the game with but I can’t find it. I am sure it is capable of allowing me to chat in the window during examination and I am hoping someone knows how to do that!  Thanks in advance…

Mick (Kings-X)

Posted: 24 October 2016 03:20 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2014-11-06

I tried to fool around to see if there was some way around it. One thing i tried was guessing the command it sent and if i could alias it. This didn’t work. Worse yet when i made my other account an examiner that account on icc for mac would try to whisper and not even hear it themselves(as it was an examiner now).

A lot of coaches i’ve been hearing are recommending the Java interface Lantern Chess for lessons.  For example if you search ‘Lantern’ on Dan Heisman’s Lesson page http://www.danheisman.com/lessons.html  you’ll see he is recommending Lantern to students for lessons.  If you go to the ICC download page, https://www.chessclub.com/downloads and look closely at the layout you’ll notice there are 3 tabs. “Computer” “Mobile” and “Web”.  Lantern is on the web tab though its a Java application not an applet ( but it could be made into an applet. If you scroll down the “Web” tab you’ll find the listing for Lantern Chess.  Java 8 ( the current version - older version will work as well ) does have to be installed because as of Yosemite, Java is not installed on mac by default.  Java can remain disabled in the web browser’s. Hope this helps.

Mike

Posted: 25 March 2017 02:37 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2014-11-06

current update 9.8.1 now kibitzes in examined game not whisper