Ads In Tomato Bot Channels
Posted: 05 March 2018 01:38 PM  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2014-10-26

For years and years and years it has been a non-written rule that when we open a tournament for joining, we do NOT advertise it in any BOT channels except for the channel that the tournament will be played in. We can advertise it in the channel to be used for a tourney, in channel 221 and the “chat” or “lobby” channel 250. The reason for this rule or policy in the first place was because of player complaints concerning too much spam in the bot channels.
    I am a believer in the “written” rule, because there tends to be to many “grey” areas in non-written rules or policies. To that end, I have had conversation and feedback from all the TM Admins regarding this topic and we have decided that we will allow (for now) the advertising of any tournament, sched or non-sched, in the bot channels that are not currently being used by another tourney or manager.
    We will allow this as long as there are not many complaints from our members about excess levels of spam in the tomato channels not being used for tourneys. If you are a tomato manager, feel free to leave me any feedback you wish right here in this forum. We are currently building a Tomato Managers Forum - that will only be accessible by TMs. IF you are a non-tomato manager, also feel free to leave me feedback here with any thoughts or issues you have with this policy.
    Thanks to you all.
BillScotty

Posted: 05 March 2018 04:34 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2015-02-24

Hi all.

I agree Bill sir, some new players would know this tournament and would like to play. This will improve more new players. Plus they may not in the tournament channels or may don’t know about the tournament. Everyone is added to channel 250. If we advertised in channel 250, some new players or players who have played tournaments before would join this tournament if they like to.

To my opinion, advertising helps in channel 250, 221 and bot channels. It will let the players to know and may interested to join the fixed time control tournament.

Thanks

Regards

Rishi (cool64chess)

Posted: 05 March 2018 07:16 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-11-07

I would agree NOT to allow it in any channels besides 221, 250, and bot ch.  Seeing the same ad five times, in different colors, on the main console just might make you miss some main console info that you might otherwise have noticed.
Beginners will find tourneys if they want to.

- Bill

Posted: 05 March 2018 07:40 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-04-07

I advertise in 250, 97 and 103 when Sleepless opens when I am running it. I also have a few aliases that announce the tourney is now open and that late joins are allowed till the end of Round 2 in Channel 43 which seems to be a fairly active channel late at night. I have been doing this for over a year but I never knew one way or another if it was allowed or not.

Posted: 05 March 2018 09:24 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2015-06-12

All

I like to advertise where that advertisement is informative to that channel.  When running STtourney I advertise in 345 and 90 in addition to 32 226, and 227.  Those channels are using that Bot or provide useful information about Slow tourneys as we don’t run as many.  I don’t see how that should bother anyone.

Kix

Posted: 06 March 2018 07:39 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2018-03-06

Hi Bill, my friend and all!

Here my 0,5 cents,
It is not a good idea make “free”, ads, in all bots or tournaments channels. people using blitzin will hate you. As someone said before, you will get 5 or more lines with the same information and it will be really annoying… I think using any other interfaces like Dasher could be annoying too…
Maybe, you could open any ads in some specifics channel. For example, running an standard tournament you can announce in the Sttourney channel (obviously if there is not just the STT games day)
I was used (when I was a TM grin ) to make short ads in the hispanic channels too, just if I need some few players to fill and start a tournament… and only ONCE time. Maybe it could be annalized in any others channels where TMs know that could be usefull to get more players.
So, i think all kind of tournaments ads should be annalized being carefull to not generate too many spam without sense. Maybe you could also think in any specific “pop ads” to join in any open tournament when you just log in. Just a single and silly idea (I think in any other time was used).

Hugs my friend Bill and to the great ICC community grin

Carlos (Shen21)

Posted: 06 March 2018 10:36 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2014-10-26

This feedback is great. There is much to think about when creating an ad for a tournament, including, not getting the members upset because of all the spam. I surely understand what Shen21 is eluding to, when he says “blitzen users will hate you” because they see all the Bot Channel ads in the same console, so to them, they are only seeing SPAM. We need to really be careful of that.
  I really like the thought that we should use channels that offer the same type tourney we are running. Like ads in channel 227 for Standard tourneys in Slomato, etc. Keep that in mind as you advertise for your tourneys, and please provide more feedback if you can.
  Thanks,
BillScotty

Posted: 07 March 2018 09:14 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2017-11-03

It

I understand the need to avoid SPAM I believe you can argue as CK does to use tells to channels where likely players are.. I. e. : w23 chs 23 and 221 w17 17,221 blitz 221 46 and 224 and so om