Rating Equivilants—
Posted: 26 October 2015 11:46 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2015-08-10

I have been trying to find out the approximate tournament strength for ICC Ratings.

I have discovered that many players who have 1800+ ratings have master titles…

I was wondering what the approximate tournament strength of a player 1500 and 1700 was?

Can someone give me an idea? Just curious.

Posted: 27 October 2015 05:36 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  395
Joined  2011-11-18

Hi!

ICC’s ratings are not easily comparable with FIDE’s ratings. The formula to calculate the ratings is similar, but in ICC a user can play 100’s, when not 1000’s of games, whereas in real life the number of games played over a year is limited. Also, in ICC (outside the pools), a user can choose their opponents, for example play computer users. Another thing to take in consideration is that in ICC there are numerous rating categories. I’d say that the easiest rating to compare with FIDE’s is the 25-minute pool - with FIDE’s Rapid rating - though again, it tends to be slightly inflated due to the higher number of played games.

Posted: 27 October 2015 10:05 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2015-08-10

So you are telling me that ICC ratings don’t correspond to relative strengths. In other words, a 1500 players range from masters to C players? You are saying that if you took a group of 1500 players and looked at there tournament ratings there would be no clear relative strength.

I am amused that everyone I’ve asked this question avoids answering it and starts talking about how different the rating systems are - which has absolutely nothing to do with my question.

The ICC rating system whatever it is and however it calculates ratings, still sorts people by strength - no A player is going to get a 1900 rating where many at that level are titled players—the A player isn’t strong enough to hold that rating.

There must be some grand secret not to be released about how strong the players, expect for the titled ones, are?????