Studying chess
Posted: 25 May 2016 11:49 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-05-25

I am new to ICC and am looking for study advice. I am a 73 year old retiree and now have time to study the game. I belong to a loose local chess club but most of the people bring their kids to play and get upset when I don’t want to play a 6 year old so I don’t attend often. I live in a retirement community and can’t seem to find any players. Therefore, most of my games are online or against Fritz 11. My question is this—When studying annotated Master games, should I play out all the variations or just study the main lines ? I have Chernev’s Logical Chess Move by Move, MacDonald’s Chess, the Art of Logical Thinking and some others. The only tournament experience I have are the Senior Olympic games where I have collected a Silver medal and a couple of Bronzes.

Posted: 28 May 2016 04:13 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-05-01

I think I would go ahead and play the six year old kids - if you are better beat them handily, maybe then they’ll stop badgering you. If they are better then you gain experience. Age shouldn’t make any difference in this game but it’s your call, just remember to have fun smile

Posted: 10 May 2018 04:14 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2018-05-09

You can contact with some of the U.S. coaches who are able to practice with you offline. For instance, my bf is working for chess wizards (http://www.chesswizards.com) , and he knows several folks across the country to help you. However, you’ll need to pay for it, but sometimes real coaching is better than books.