Poll
In chess videos, do you like to have the notation announced by the speaker
Yes. I want to hear the notation, not only see the move. 8
No. Notations confuse me, I rather just watch the moves being made. 0
Either way is fine by me. I don’t care. 2
I don’t watch chess videos. 0
Total Votes: 10
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Chess videos : Announcing move notation or rather not ?
Posted: 25 August 2015 07:58 AM  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-10-26

In chess videos, some authors always announce the moves they make, like they say “e2 e4”, “e7 e5”, “pawn takes d4”.
Others prefer to avoid this, just say “here”, “there”, “then that”, “takes, takes, takes”.
I know for instance that Jon Watson uses the latter approach consciously, reasoning that average players might get confused by the notation.
What do you think : Notation or not, or don’t you care, or may be you don’t even watch any videos ?

Posted: 25 August 2015 12:35 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  395
Joined  2011-11-18

I personally don’t care about how the commentators use the notation. If you are watching the video, and the GM/IM uses “there, there and there”, highlighting the squares he’s talking about, it works just fine for me.

Posted: 25 August 2015 01:31 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-10-26

My guess is that most people feel that way.
I use videos in a very special way, watching them in the background while doing something else. I don’t look at the screen all the time, but follow the moves in my head and only look at the screen when something very interesting happens. So you might take a guess on how I voted wink

Posted: 27 August 2015 11:27 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2015-01-18

When in your growth phase grasping the notation as it is being displayed helps you expand your thought process.  If you get confused watch the video or a part multiple times until it becomes a natural flow.

Posted: 04 September 2015 06:52 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2015-06-22

Yes I like to hear the moves as sometimes I am trying to follow the broadcast without looking at the board. I definitely do not like when John Watson just goes ‘from here, to there, back there ’ etc.