Manners (lack of)
Posted: 25 April 2015 10:14 AM  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2015-01-20

I mainly play 5 minute blitz (pool games or other) and am amazed at the great numbers of opponents who post no acknowledgement of playing after the game (whether a win,loss or draw).

In my opinion that is just rude. A short message of “thanks for the game” or similar is all that is required and is not hard to do manually or automatically.

Without such a post game message you may as well be playing a computer chess engine (and maybe some of those post after game messages!?).

There are a plethora of other rude gestures that can occur (from abusive messages to just disconnecting when behind and many more) during a game. Manners maketh man…come on ICC players, insist opponents post a thanks for playing or similar message and are not rude or worse.

Happy chess play everyone grin

Posted: 28 April 2015 07:31 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2015-01-20

In my opinion, there is nothing phoney about taking the small amount of effort to thank your opponent for playing a game (win, lose or draw) with you.
It occurs in most real time games (football, tennis, rugby etc) and usually in over the board chess play also. So, I think it should happen in digital internet chess play also, as you should be actually playing a person and not a computer software program (chess engine). I think it is bad manners (discourteous and rude) not to do so and I also think this issue does impact both on your chess game and general behaviour.

Posted: 16 May 2015 10:16 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2015-05-16

In my opinion that is just rude. A short message of “thanks for the game” or similar is all that is required and is not hard to do manually or automatically.

I don’t see much value in an automated message at the end of the game. It requires no effort and it does not demonstrate manners beyond the one time effort to set it up.

I don’t see how ICC can force players to be well mannered and polite except by punishing those who send rude messages and those who show a history of disconnecting or bizarre play. By bizarre play, I mean for example, someone who starts a game and then stops moving until his time runs out.

Posted: 02 November 2015 01:12 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2015-06-30

I used to say gg or exchange polite gestures, but after years of suffering personal attacks and insults, especially after losing a game I should have won, I have turned off messages and tells.  I probably miss connecting with a nice player once in a great while, but for me it is not worth the aggravation.  Young modestly talented chess players are typically brats, mix that with the anonymity of the internet and you get the typical ICC user.

Posted: 16 December 2015 10:58 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2015-03-28

People just play too many games these days to be taking the time to say something after every single one. People are jumping right back into the pool and getting paired after the game is over. It’s not rude at all. Rude is saying something rude afterward.