A searchable database of all ICC games with PGN Download
Posted: 09 November 2014 08:58 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-11-09

Please upgrade ICC interface so we can search the database by position. OR please share the pgn file of all the games of ICC on a monthly update basis. This would be a real treasure of information for the game of chess.

Posted: 10 November 2014 06:25 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2014-11-06

Hi there.

I’m unsure if you are aware or not, but at present we save all a lot of games that meet certain parameters (such as rating >2300) and what you can do is to search by opening or other criteria. Please take a look at https://www.chessclub.com/user/help/search which explains how to do this. Once you are examining a game, you can then save that particular game as a pgn file onto your computer. It isn’t really feasible to have ‘all’ games played on a monthly basis as 1 downloadable pgn file as it would be a huge file, but I hope this reply assists you towards what you want to achieve.

Posted: 17 November 2014 08:49 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2014-11-06

Because many games aren’t stored in database, and game history gives only 20 last games, I suggest to enlarge history list from 20 to 50 or even 100 games. On today’s servers it is much easier than 15 years ago.

Posted: 18 November 2014 10:45 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2014-11-06

Hi Truemove,

ICC has 2 large databases actually. Librarybot contains over 70,000 games in its database which are formal games we have catalogued. And using the search function reveals games from the server that ICC has saved and I would expect this database contains possibly a million or more games given the criteria for games that are saved, and of course, games are added to this database on a daily basis.

You may find the following links useful; https://www.chessclub.com/user/activities/finger.php?handle=LibraryBot and https://www.chessclub.com/user/help/search.

Not forgetting that each member can save 400 games in their own library too. I hope this information helps you.

Posted: 05 February 2015 09:57 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-11-07

“Please upgrade ICC interface so we can search the database by position. OR please share the pgn file of all the games of ICC on a monthly update basis. This would be a real treasure of information for the game of chess.”

I don’t think it would be such a good idea as it would break for professionnal players some kind of privacy : I mean people would easily prepare against them by looking at this ICC database and so on… As a result, some professionals would be somewhat reluctant to play on the ICC in my opinion.

Crede mihi, benequi latuit bene vixit

Posted: 06 February 2015 10:36 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-10-26

At least the top professionals usually play crap openings only on ICC, so it’s not such a big issue for them. It’s rather the amateur player who uses ICC to practice new openings. If it is super easy to download any players games, it’s no more possible to do this, unless you keep your handle a secret. If it were possible to download my latest 1000 blitz games, I would probably have to start learning new openings.
Also I can assure everyone : There are no hidden gems in my game history. There’s nothing to be learned, except for what openings I play.

Posted: 07 February 2015 12:20 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2014-11-06

Many top players don’t hide their names on ICC, for example:

Caruana, Fabiano g ITA 2811
Giri, Anish g NED 2797
So, Wesley g USA 2788
Nakamura, Hikaru g USA 2776
Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime g FRA 2775
Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar g AZE 2759
Vitiugov, Nikita g RUS 2735
Jakovenko, Dmitry g RUS 2733
Dominguez Perez, Leinier g CUB 2726
Harikrishna, P.  g IND 2723
Tomashevsky, Evgeny g RUS 2716
Nepomniachtchi, Ian g RUS 2714

and many others.

But even on 2400-2500 level many players have hundreds of OTB games published in mega database and others, and then ICC games aren’t so important for preparations. And also usually there is not enough time to look at all the games.

Posted: 09 February 2015 08:16 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Joined  2014-11-06

Information about h13(IM) (Last disconnected Thu Jan 08 2015 07:57):

When I try to find his games by command search h13, I get message “There are no games satisfying your query”

It is a bug, because games of IMs are stored in database.

Please fix it.

Posted: 01 January 2016 11:16 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-01-01

GENIUS idea from aptchess

very very good idea

for comparison, I just dropped about $50 to get the complete collection of TWiC games (and to say “thanks” to the guys at TWiC) ...

but a good fresh source of blitz data would be priceless

Posted: 01 January 2016 11:19 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-01-01

Also, as far as the top players, okay ...

... well if we prefer, but we could have a cutoff, like GM, and not collect (and publish) any games of GMs

the remaining data would still be invaluable and super enjoyable to many of us

Posted: 27 July 2016 01:33 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2015-05-31

I wish you can fix that I can download all games of a special player or search string. Just in one click, bulk.

Fix that and improve your service.

Customer.

‹‹ Suggestions      Non-perfect Lag Compensation ››